A Date With My Old City


I told her tales of the old Enugu 
The city I grew up in 
She grew weary of me talking about my exes 
That's what happens when you grow up out going 
Tales of escapades with many girls clog your mind 
I tried hard to avoid such tales 
I mean who would wanna hear those nasty stories 
I told her tales of Old Enugu city buses 
Mary-Go-Round or Gba-Gba 
Routing from New Market to Garriki 
Or From Old Park to Emene 
With just 10 naira wherever you drop 
I told her tales of our old Governor 
And his arranged 7am free school bus for every student 
I told her how my city had trees on it pathways 
You could walk from Ogui Juction to Ekulu primary school 
Under the shade of Mango trees 
The old Bisala road and the thick green flower trees 
Planted in the center pavements 
And how we would get excited when we see it in Movies 
When all Nigerian movies were acted in Enugu then 
How we gathered at All saints church to watch Pete Edochie do his thing 
I told her more tales of the old Enugu state 
When the American singer Jidenna lived in the city 
Before his father moved his innovations abroad 
Tales of Presidential Hotel 
Cave Night and Spring Fellows 
When Ekulu Primary school was the best in the city 
And WTC gave them a run for the legacy 
I told her tales of horror and fun 
When IMT was IMT bus stop 
And ESUT in ESUT gate 
When Okpara square was a perfect date spot 
And Mr Biggs was for rich people only 
When 190 and V-Boot was the shit 
And Golf was called pure water 
I told her tales of my old city 
On a date in Calabar and it wasn't a boring date

Comments

Popular Posts