Kate's Diary 9



THE KATE’S DIARY 9 
FLAT LINE 
By Nnagoziem TheVyrus Udensi 


This been a week after the ugly experience in the north, I have not been able to settle down mentally. Somehow Eddie heard about the Abuja incident, it wasn’t pleasant, of course he shouldn’t be. He was yet to forgive me for going over to my classmate’s that almost got me raped, sweating him and all and in here i am again with another scandal. Having sex with my best friend’s bride? That was the height of it. Eddie now with no second thoughts chose to stay away for good this time, solid break up. Well like they say. Some mistakes are to be avoided entirely instead of apologized for. Forgiveness has an elastic limit and I think I have used up mine. It was time to move on and hopefully in the future, if I meet another good guy I wouldn’t mess things up. But lately, I have been worried sick. Those words I heard in that church about being haunted wouldn’t let me enjoy peace I kept thinking what if I was really haunted? What it these events eventually take my life one day? I was worried beyond my usual anxiety rate. Things were heavy on me. And when I’m this stressed, I stay indoors and watch movies. I usually watch movies eating snacks and fruits or maybe a glass of juice. And for a week now I have been indoors thanks to the new series 'Lekki Wives'– It was a Saturday morning and I was on my bitter mood again. How can I wake up this beautiful Saturday morning and be bitter. I opened my fridge to get some fruit, after turning on my TV. My fridge was empty. That situation wasn’t helpful; I needed my fruits to watch movies. 
There and then, I picked up my noodle stepped into my shoes and headed for the market; needed to refill my food bank. Stepping out, it was cloudy, not so sunny like most Saturdays. People weren’t much outside. I had my headphones on as I walked over to the bus stop listening to kate perry; I almost got hit by a bus coming in. Although the driver was horning seriously I couldn’t hear due to the headphones I had on. Still lost in the mind maze I noticed people were waving at me with a shocked face expression, to get a clearer understanding, I pulled off my head phones, everybody was shooting “get out of the way”, I quickly jumped out of the incoming bus’s way. I was shocked, froze up standing. I couldn’t believe I was that close to death there and then I decided to go back home. As i was about leaving, a male voice from behind asked, “Are you okay?” I turned around, to see a tall fair looking very handsome guy with the cutest smile ever, he asked again “are you okay?”, I nodded slowly trying not to stare too much “you nearly got yourself killed” he added. In my mind I was like “like I didn’t know that, did he have to remind me”. I haven’t even brushed my teeth that morning not to talk of taking my bath that was all I had in mind. I almost lost my life, and I wasn’t even too bothered, standing there looking at the cute dude, I could lose my life actually this time. He asked where I was headed; I told him I was going to the market. He was headed the same direction, according to him, so I had to rule out my second thought of going back home and boarded a bus with him. 
We were sitting together and that wasn’t good for me, I haven’t brushed and I didn’t want him to notice that, driving to the market, he was asking me questions, trying to start up a conversation as much as I wanted that, I couldn’t talk, didn’t want to open my mouth, So acted like I was still shocked out of the accident experience. I was just able to tell him my name after he told me his name was Gibson. Getting to the market bus stop he said he wasn’t going to buy much things at the market, that within twenty minutes, he will be done. That was good enough for me, because I just wanted to buy my fruits with will take about same twenty minutes. And by then I must have gotten a mint chewing gum to help reduce my mouth odor so i can really heave a conversation with him. So we agreed to meet at the market bus stop in twenty minutes. 
Within twenty minutes I was done with my shopping, already at the bus stop waiting for Gibson. Another ten minutes passed Gibson wasn’t out yet. I was worried, I really wanted to have a conversation with this dude, so i give him extra five minutes, if he didn’t show up, I would then go on home. I had my head phones on again listening to my country music, but this time I found a safe spot to stand. Minutes later, I saw Gibson across the road talking with a lady with a little girl, the way they were talking, it seemed like they have known themselves long ago. In desperation I decided to go across and meet him. Just & as a crossed over to meet Gibson, I pulled out my earpiece and heard people streaming and shouting, I turned around people were gathered just at the spot I crossed the road form. A Bus had hit someone, so Gibson ran across the road to see. The little girl standing with the lady Gibson was greeting was staring at me, so I asked her why she was staring at me, she pointed at the accident scene and point at me. I didn’t understanding her, she was a kid so I want across to meet Gibson who was already carrying the accident victim –Gibson was screaming “help me! she is my Friend” I was so shocked, I almost got hit by a bus earlier and it this same Gibson that asked me if I was okay, now his fried was actually hit by a bus. As I got closer, I saw Gibson carrying someone rearing exact same clothes as I was weaning. So I ran to help him and to my greatest surprise, I saw myself being carried into a car, I screamed and called Gibson, he didn’t answer me I was scared, there were fruits scattered all over the asphalt, I looked at my hand, there was nothing I was carrying. It was scary I tired pulling Gibson’s shoulder, and my hand went through his body. I screamed again. And it seemed like nobody heard me. At this point I was confused. I couldn’t place my emotions, paused in the moment, I was sweating I felt my body cold but dripping with sweat, that was me being carried way in a hurry. Heard them say I was being carried to a hospital. How can I deal still stood in the crowd s hearing them gossip about how I was hit by a bus. They said I wasn’t careful; I didn’t look out for the vehicles on the busy road. It was my fault if I died. Although I noticed no one could see me I was ashamed, I felt guilty, earlier today I almost got hit by a bus, it was only human for me to be more careful at least for the rest of the day if not the month. But I was busy crushing on a cute stranger now I’m… I don’t even know what I am; Dead? If was dead, I should be facing judgment according to the Bible. But what am I still doing here? I was walking away from the crowd when it hit me. I was still alive, if I was dead I wouldn’t be here I had to help myself stay alive, I had to do something. In the monies, once you enter back to your body as a ghost, you come back to life. So all I had to do is get back to my body. But where was my body? I didn’t know, I didn’t pay attention to know the hospital I was being carried to. I was scared, what if they declare me dead and put me in a mortuary? What if I get buried? Will I be stock here for eternity? No way! I had to find my body and get back into it. The closest hospital to the market should be the first place I should look, and since I couldn’t ask anybody for direction, I had to find it myself and there was limited time for all that. So I started running, though the closest streets around the market. After running around for about an hour, I found a small hospital, an old hospital; form the appearance of the hospital, around, it looked like one of those hospitals built in the 50s and since hasn’t been renovated. So I walked in, it was a busy hospital regardless. Nurses and doctor walking up and down people walking in and out probably people whose relatives are ill. As I got in, I observed that some people were looking at me. I wasn’t sure so I said hi, to my greatest shock of relief, they replied. “Another one” one of them added. Looking as regular as normal people, I was confused so I asked them how come they could see me. They explained to me that they were in the same situation I was in. most of them were in a coma, some for over three months. So I asked them if they saw me being carried in. they suggested I should go look in the wards. 
After checking all the wards in the hospital, I couldn’t find myself, I was sad but won’t give up that early. As I was standing there lost in thoughts, an old woman walked up to me, to cheer me up. She suggested I should go to another hospital not so far away; she advised I shouldn’t be bothered that once I get there, if I find myself there that I should ask other people there what to do. That there is a solution, and if I was lucky enough, it will be quicker and easier that I thought. So I took off again. Within 30 minutes after a whole lot of walking around I found another hospital. As soon as walked in, I saw other semi ghosts there who recognized me, and showed me the ward I was carried to. As I walked in it was amazing Gibson was there sitting beside me, seems the doctors just finished with my emergency treatment. The ward was neat with new paints and clean sheets. Nicer than that other hospital I was at. Still amazing the way I can look at myself. So real, it wasn’t like looking at the mirror it was better than that. I could see my oily face and my breathing chest move up and down. I didn’t even remember Gibson was there I was lost staring at myself until a nurse came in. she was asking Gibson if he was family, Gibson told her I wasn’t but then finding my family won’t be so hard because he knew where I boarded a bus to the market. As they were still on it, I remembered I was still stuck here in between worlds, and it wasn’t fun-so I stepped out to possibly find a solution. 
As I stepped out to the hall way, an elderly woman was sitting down, staring at me, so I knew she’s one of us stuck in between worlds too, so went closer and sat beside her. She seemed fed up and tired. As I sat beside her, she turned her head away from me, making it hard for me to start a conversation. So I sat mute for some minutes looking starring at the walls like I was deeply thinking, then i remembered my predicament, so I started up a conversation. At first the lady who introduced herself as Fatima was reluctant to reply me. But I continued to narrate what happened to me, by the time I was done, she had an interest in my issue so she advised me on what to do. After she told me what to do, it was not easy, like those guys said it might turn out to be. So I went back to my ward, 
Thinking; how can I contact the living when they can’t even hear or see me? This was a tough one. Sitting close to Gibson who was busy with his phone, I didn’t know what he was doing and frankly I wasn’t interested either I really needed a soothsayer or someone who can commutate with ghosts. When I was living, I wasn’t the type that needed that kind of expertise so there was no way I could figure out how to get one. Still lost in thoughts, Gibson made a phone call, He called friend to come look after me so he can go come and find a way to get in touch with my family. Just as he said ‘home’, I remembered the woman he was greeting when I got hit by a bus, either his relative or something, but the lady had a little girl and that girl was showing me the scene of me being hit by a bus, which means after I was hit, she could still see me. I had to find that girl at all cost and my only way to find her was through Gibson. That little girl was my only way out of this misery. I spent the next 30 minutes Gibson waited for his friend trying to make him see me. It wasn’t just working; I tried all I could, tired grabbing things tired screaming and shouting, all to no avail. I just hard to wait for any moment I could get. 
Within 30 minutes, Gibson’s friend arrived, and Gibson stepped out after explaining to his friend the situation at hand and how he needs to help me. As Gibson stepped out, I followed him. That was the least I could do, who knows? He might run into the lady and the little girl again. Doesn’t look like his mom though, but might be an aunty or relative that he sees always. Few minutes into town, Gibson got to his house; first off, he started narrating the whole incident to his siblings. It was just like one of these touchy interesting stories, but the only issue was that I was the one being discussed, and it wasn’t like it was a story of how I was given an award. It was an annoying story to me. And the worst part was that his siblings kept asking him more annoying questions. “Why was it you that took her to the hospital?” “Do you think she will survive? “How long does some stay in a coma before the person dies?” None of those questions was appealing. So I decided to walk out and chill For Gibson to freshen up and head out find my house. Outside it was a block of flats, a three storey building; typical house for the middle class. I walked out and sat on the stair case. There were noises coming but the different flats in the building. Some were voices arguing, some was loud music some were sounds from a Nigerian movie soundtrack. The block was noisy. Sited there I could still hear Gibson narrate the whole incident to his siblings as if other noises were turned down for me to listen to Gibson’s voice specially. I had no choice than to listen I can’t walk away any further, I had to be around to know when he leaves the house. Just about that second I heard Gibson say “I even saw Mama Jane, I was with her when it happened” someone asked “which mama Jane?” “Mama Jane our neighbor living up stairs” Gibson replied. The instant I heard that, I knew it was the woman I was looking for. So I rushed into Gibson house to make sure I heard them right. Just as i entered the room the conversation topic had changed, Gibson and his siblings were now talking about why mama Jane always took the little girl Jane whenever she was going out. I wasn’t interested in that part so I decided to go check up stairs, since they said she was staying up stairs, as I was about leaving, I heard one of Gibson’s sibling say the little Jane was deaf and dumb, that was why the mom had to take her along always because she is the only one who understands her daughter. I froze up like a mannequin at the digestion of those words, analyzing it in bits, how can I communicate with a deaf girl? And how will she help me when she can’t speak? And so far she is the only one who could see me. This should be interesting; it just goes from bad to worse. Well, let me go see her first and be sure she can still see me before I worry about her being able to help. First things first, they say. So I stepped out and walked up stairs. As I got up, there unlike Gibson’s house, I didn’t know how to get in, had to follow the instructions that old lady from the hospital gave me she said I should work with my mind, as a ghost, I could do anything. So I walked through the door into the house. Inside was desolate; there was no body inside the house. I walked around, checked the rooms and everywhere, there was nobody whatsoever, so I walked out again and tired the other flat. It was a full house, mostly teenage boys, about four of them between the ages of 13 to 20. They were playing video games and making noise, this doesn’t look a family house. Just then I saw the little girl from the accident scene, sitting on the dining table, starting at me. Wow! She could still see me. I walked closer and she was still staring at me. She was about 8 yrs old or so, sitting with her plate of egusi soup and fufu. I stood looking at her as she looked back knowing she was deaf and dumb, I didn’t know how to talk to her. Starred at her for minutes, happy but frustrated. The only person that could see me, that could possibly help, can’t hear or talk. It was like building castles in the air. After a while, she probably noticed the frustration on my face, she gave me a sign to follow her, and she walked into her room. Didn’t look like a room of an eight year old, there were many paintings on her wall; Beautiful paintings and drawings, I was lost looking at those paintings when I absent mindedly asked her “did you draw those pictures” she nodded. I was still looking on the pictures and moments later it just hit me, she heard me when I asked if she drew the pictures. I quickly turned to her excitement, screaming “You can hear me” “You can hear me” she just stood there smiling, I was so happy, she then picked up a pen and wrote on me note pad on the table “You are not the first” , I have seen and heard ghosts before”. As I read those words I was a bit relived I could actually talk to her and since she could write well, I can also understand her. We spent house together discussing things. Her name was Jane, Jane was very talented, she could read and write well, draw too and could see ghosts, but that was a secret because when she started seeing ghosts, she alerted her mom and dad who didn’t believe her, thinking she was possessed. She was taken different prayer homes that couldn’t even help. She then had to start acting normal so her parents will stop taking her to prayer houses. I also narrated my ordeals to Jane who agreed to help me. There was only one person I could think of that could help me, as the old woman from the hospital said, only a strong connection of affection with a living soul can pull me back to life. And since my mother isn’t close enough, I could only think of one person that loves me that much; Eddie. Although we have been having issues for months now, I know he still loved me, so I told Jane to text him, and she did, with a mobile phone, explaining the whole starvation to Him. I wasn’t so sure but I know Eddie won’t leave me stranded no matter how bad things are between us. I was happy Jane could help, thanked her and promised to come see her once I am alive again, she laughed and explained to me that once I am back to life, I won’t remember any of these. Everything that happened will totally black out, she said that its one of the reason she is deaf and dumb, since she can see ghosts. The living And the dead are in different worlds and only the few stuck in between can relate to the both worlds. 
I left Jane in optimism, I can’t tell what happens to me now, I didn’t know what to do. I checked Gibson’s house and he was gone; probably back to the hospital as he promised his fiend. I walked outside, it was already too dark, I don’t even know what time it was, but as I was walking down the street I saw myself fading. My hands were getting transparent I was disappearing, then I blacked out, everywhere was dark but I was learning Eddie’s voice he was shouting out. Wasn’t clear at first but later I Figured he was calling out for the doctor alerting him that I moved, blinked my eyes open and was on a hospital bed. I was excited, I was back. I wanted to move but I felt pain all over my body. Damn! Reality hurts, I wanted to smile, but even my face was too stiff. The doctor rushed in and advised I stayed calm my whole dam body was aching like I was hit by a bus, Oh well, yeah! It was a bus that hit me. But wait I can remember seeing myself as a ghost, which means I still have the memories of what I saw & as a ghost, wow! Jane was wrong or was it magic? I looked around; there was Eddie, my knight in shining amour and Gibson, my prince charming and his friend. I felt so loved. Well I couldn’t wait to get well and share my stories with Eddie, his not gonna believe me, but I will still tell him. And yeah! I am going to find Jane She’s my new best friend. 





Comments

Popular Posts