My Neighbour's Wife

"Cut your Dreads boy", my mom would scold "You look unkempt" 

"Very irresponsible, that's why you have haven't gotten a job" my dad would add with disappointment in his tone 

Like I break his heart all over again each time he sees my hair 

He thinks I'm keeping it as a sign of protest since he wouldn't pay my school fees 

I lost interest in my childhood crush sometime ago 

She wouldn't date me because she thought I looked haggard and too rough unlike my said responsible mates

She too had joined the bandwagon of people with my supposed best interest 

It would seem like I'm loosing so much because of my dread 

But then, I can't cut it 

I can't cut it because she tells me each day she loves my hair 

Every evening, back at the field, gathering her dry clothes from the field 

She would tell me each day like she is just seeing it for the first time 

And I love the way she smiles when she talks to me and ask about my hair like there was more to it

It makes me blush and a bit shy 

Like I'm weak 

I love being weak around her, because I have to be strong to the rest of the world 

Weakness feels like home, because you don't have to worry 

She is supposed to be my home if the world was perfect 

No! Not my childhood crush 

I'm talking about the girl that makes me blush 

My neighbour's wife 

My neighbour's underaged wife 

I used to think girls my age have a thing for older guys until I met her 

My happiness that I can't be with 

She is the reason I can't cut my Dreads

Comments

Popular Posts